2007 Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient
UW-Madison Music Professor and Director of Bands
On Wednesday, November 14, 2007, Wisconsin Foundation for School Music (WFSM) presented its second-ever Lifetime Achievement Award in Music to Mike Leckrone, UW-Madison Music Professor and Director of Bands.
Highlights of the evening included speeches from Dr. Grant Manhart, Dr. Frank Tracz, former UW athletic director Pat Richter, State Superintendent Elizabeth Burmaster, and Tom Wopat. Performances throughout the evening included UW band alumni, VSA arts of Wisconsin choir, and the UW Marching Band drum line. Katy Sai served as the evening’s emcee. A special commemorative video was shown and a proclamation declaring November 14, 2007 “Mike Leckrone Day” in Wisconsin was read.
Mike Leckrone deserved this prestigious award because:
- He has energetically inspired countless people of all ages and abilities to make music an integral part of their lives.
- He exemplifies that the study of music develops creativity, self-expression, discipline and teamwork.
- He is an icon for musical excellence and through his energy, inspires others to reach for the same high standard in whatever they do.
- As a leader, Mike Leckrone has strongly influenced generations of people throughout the state (and beyond) to study music and/or become supporters of music education.
- He brings the “wow factor” to music education.